Korat-Legal



For legal services in Thailand, contact: Korat-Legal

STORMBLAST1953

My friend Henk Landkroon, from Groningen in the Netherlands, has an excellent photoblog: STORMBLAST1953

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Buriram

Mam had work in Buriram. I went along and looked for Khmer ruins while she was busy.

Always nice to have Amazon coffee on the road.

This is an old Khmer pond in the vicinity of Prasat Kracharb Phon. I couldn't find any remains of the ancient structure.

I was trying to find Prasat Nong Yai Phim. I had a GPS fix, but many of these ancient sites are hard to find as there are no signs or markers of any sort. I found this piece of sandstone but that was it.

My GPS told me the Prasat was in the jungle on the other side of this lotus-filled moat. 

It's somewhere in there.

Finally I asked someone who told me to go inside the grounds of a nearby wat to find the entrance to the ancient site. It was across this wooden bridge.

All that's left of Prasat Nong Yai Phim is this mound and a few stones.

Prasat Nong Yai Phim

Prasat Nong Yai Phim 

Prasat Nong Yai  Phim

Prasat Nong Phlong was easier to find. It is in the grounds of an old wat on which lots of construction is being done.

 Sadly, there seems to be no effort to restore or even preserve this ancient site.

At least one wall is still standing.

Prasat Nong Phlong

Prasat Nong Phlong

There are only a few pieces of carved sandstore at Prasat Nong Phlong. There must have been much more including carved lintels and other decoration.

Prasat Nong Phlong

I couldn't tell if this stone was ancient or modern. It has some gold leaf rubbed into the upper side and is tied with the sacred cloth.

Prasat Nong Phlong

The entire site is surrounded by an irregularly shaped moat. The Khmer usually kept things quite square.

We had lunch at Lin's Kitchen in Buriram. From the outside it was just a nondescript place at the back of a Shell filling station. Inside it was quite charming and nicely decorated with a deck with a pond view. Very nice food as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment